GetWize

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Drinkers Digest - Pride and cheap beers

Welcome fellow drinkers to the first edition of Drinkers Digest... Dedicated to finding the cheapest buzz in town. You don't have to thank me, just buy me a drink next time you see me.

So this last weekend was Pride here in San Francisco, so of course the city turned into reveling havoc just about everywhere I went. Bars and eateries were packed with people from miles around, making this not only one of the most festive weekends, but also one that makes you appreciate the solitude that comes with finding an empty bar. I wasn't even lucky enough to get that much. So here I am on Sunday, waiting in the heart of the madness at the Civic Center for some “new to SF” friends to roll through. If you are going to call SF home, Pride is something you really need to experience after all.

It’s one o’clock and the party is in full swing. I meander, half taking in the sights and half pissed because there's only one beer left in my bag and it's warm as hell. After about three hours, I had my fill of the madness and people trying to hand me condoms and lube. Time to bounce. Unfortunately, that’s easier said than done. The party stretched for like 5 square blocks, a scandalously-clad colony of dancing underwear enthusiasts. Every turn led me deeper and deeper into the mix.

By the time I reach Leavenworth, the music is still beckoning from behind, but uphill I trudge until I come up on Cup A Joe on Sutter. "What the hell," I figure, "coffee's a good enough reason to have a seat and recollect myself." It's then I notice a sign with my favorite 3 words on it "happy, hour and special". The $2.95 happy hour special at Cup A Joe is for all beers from 4-8. They have 10 beers on tap and it just so happens to be 4:15. Dumb Luck I suppose, but luck none the less. There I sit enjoying my cheap beer in the coffee shop environment until my buddies who I had been waiting for all day long finally give me the buzz. They're hungry, something about going to check out some sushi spot they saw from the bus.

So this sushi spot is called Kyoto Sushi, a few doors from the corner of Van Ness and Sutter, and as I walk in, the most marvelous sign one could see: $1 Sapporo's, everyday. Right on! I Go take a seat, say what's up, turn to waitress and order three Sapporo's. She comes and sets them in front of me, so I turn to the other guys and ask: "oh yeah, did you guys want anything to drink?"
For some, Pride weekend is a chance to explore and express sexuality and freedom… For me it’s a week long invasion of my haunts and hollows and an excuse for digging even deeper to find the cheapest drinks around town.

Cup A Joe and Kyoto Sushi, me and my shriveled liver thank you.
Til next time…

Drinkers Digest is brought to you by Garrett Shockley

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Get your learn on! Local events, photos, ticket comps, videos and articles, delivered to you for free, every week! Get the Weekly Wize Guide!

No comments: